This beautiful salad is named after a gorgeous tree with bright yellow flowers – Mimoza. Acacia dealbata (known as silver wattle, blue wattle or mimosa) is a species of Acacia. In Russia, Ukraine, Georgia the flowers are frequently given to women on International Women’s Day.
The salad presentation could be made in two ways. First – you can assemble the salad in a glass baking dish (size about 8”x 8”) and you will be able to see all salad layers. Second – assemble the salad on a plate and your salad will look like a cake (what I prefer).
– 4 large eggs (use free range eggs which have deep yellow/orange yolks)
– 3 medium carrots
– 3 medium gold potatoes
– ½ large sweet onion
– 1 can (5 oz) tuna in oil
– Mayonnaise of your choice or homemade mayonnaise
– Salt and pepper
– Green onions or parsley for garnish, optional
1. In the same pot bring to a boil whole unpeeled potatoes and carrots. Reduce heat to medium low or low. In about 15 min take carrots out as usually carrots cook faster (make sure that knife goes smoothly through carrot).
2. Cook potatoes for additional 10 min or so – check with your knife to ensure they are cooked. Do not overcook your vegetables.
3. Drain the vegetables and let them cool down to room temperature. Peel potatoes and carrots.
4. Cook hard boiled eggs and let them cool down. Peel the eggs, cut them in half and separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
5. Drain the tuna and mash it with a fork. Spread it over the bottom of large dinner plate. Spread out thin a layer of mayonnaise.
6. Finely grate egg whites evenly over the tuna, spread out a thin layer of mayonnaise.
7. Finely grate carrot evenly over the egg whites, sprinkle lightly with salt and spread out a thin layer of mayonnaise.
8. Finely chop the sweet onion, spread evenly over the carrot and spread out a thin layer of mayonnaise.9. Grate potatoes evenly over the onion, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, spread out a thin layer of mayonnaise.
10. Mash the egg yolks with a fork, sprinkle over the salad, garnish with green onion. The yellow yolk and green onion represent mimosa flowers and green leaves.
Keep salad refrigerated.