– ¾ cup sifted all-purpose flour
– 2 eggs
– 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
– ½ cup sugar
– ½ – 1 cup fresh berries of your choice (I was using blueberries, small strawberries, raspberries and alpines)
– 1 organic lemon (use organic lemon as nearly all conventional produce is coated with wax and it hard to remove)
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
Makes about 10-12 muffins.
You will need: standard-size muffin pan, grater with small holes or zester.
1. Preheat oven to 390F. Insert crinkly liner into each cup of muffin pan.
2. Make a lemon zest: Wash lemon under hot water and dry it. use the smallest holes on an ordinary grater or zester. Grate just enough to get through the yellow skin, avoiding the bitter white pith underneath. You will need about 1 teaspoon of lemon zest.
4. Add lemon zest, stir.
5. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the mixing bowl, stir.
6. Soften the butter in a hot water bath until it is soft but not liquid. Gradually stir in the softened butter.
8. Slice strawberries lengthwise. Put berries on top of each muffin.
9. Bake for about 12-15 min depending on your oven. Muffins should be slightly golden on the top.