Napoleon cake – one of the most popular cakes in Ukraine and other post-Soviet countries. I’ve tried a lot of different Napoleon cakes as every family has their own recipe. One time when I was a college student during a birthday party Napoleon cake was proudly served. And after I tried that cake I immediately knew that this is the best cake I’ve ever had and I wanted its recipe. Since then, Napoleon is one of my very favorite cakes and I am making it only for very special occasions.
This cake needs to be made ahead as it must sit in a fridge for 24 hours. So the best way is to make it one day ahead. It takes about 3 hours to make it.
– 3 cups flour
– 2 sticks unsalted butter, cold
– 1 egg
– 150 ml water, cold
– Pinch of salt
– 3 eggs
– 1 cup sugar
– 1.5 Tablespoons flour
– 1 Tablespoon starch
– 750 ml milk
– 2 sticks unsalted butter
1. Put butter for 15 min in freezer. Whisk the egg in the cup.
2. In medium bowl with fork lightly stir together flour and salt.
3. Grate butter into the flour, you can use a pastry blender instead of a grater.
10. Put the pan on medium-low heat. While it is warming up, very slowly add remaining milk, stirring constantly.
11. Cook the mixture, continue stirring constantly (so it doesn’t get lumpy) until it becomes thicker. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
12. Remove from heat and let it cool for 15 – 20 minutes, then add butter and mix it in as it melts. Set aside.
13. Split dough into 10 pieces, form little balls and put them back into fridge.
14. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Set the rack in the middle.
15. Get one piece of the dough from the fridge, roll it onto a large sheet of parchment paper into a very thin crust about 10” -11’’ in diameter.
16. Put 9” diameter plate on the top and cut out circle. Do not take away cut off piece – we will bake it together with the main circle and will use it later.
19. While first layer is baking, to save time you can get another piece of parchment paper and start working on next layer.
20. When first layer is done, take it out of the oven, place central circle on a plate and cut off pieces – in separate bowl. You can re-use the paper to roll out and bake the next layer of pastry.
22. Put one crust on the cake dish and spread a generous amount of custard cream over the top.
23. Put the next layer on top of first layer and spread custard cream again.
24. Repeat until all layers have been stacked up to produce the cake.
Next day make cup of tea and enjoy the most delicious cake!