Crochet Flamingo Appliqué

Flamingo Crochet Pattern Free

“Be A Flamingo in a Flock of Pigeons”.

This is another addition to the series of Crochet Heart-shaped Animals – Flamingo!
A beautiful project for Valentine’s Day.  Easy and fun to make!

Abbreviations:
Ch – chain
DC – double crochet
HDC – half double crochet
HDC3tog – half double crochet 3 stitches together
Rnd – round
SC- single crochet
Sl St – slip stitch
St (Sts) – stitch (stitches)
TR – treble crochet
Materials:
– cotton crochet thread size 10 in pink and black
– crochet hook size 6/1.8 mm
Finished size:  Flamingo is about   3-3/4” (9.5 cm) tall.
Neck and Head
Ch 20, HDC in 3rd Ch from hook, HDC in each of the next 12 Chs, 2 HDC in each of the next 4 Chs, working under two loops – 6 HDC in next (last) Ch – for Head, Sl St in the same last St.
Beak
Join black color to the bottom of the Head at the 4th St counting from the last Sl St made.
Crochet Flamingo Appliqué Free Pattern

Ch 3, SC in 2nd Ch from hook, HDC in next Ch, Sl St in next St of the Head, cut the yarn leaving a about 6” tail, fasten off. Using the tail and a sewing needle, make the flamingo’s eye.

Body and Legs

Ch 4;
Rnd 1. make all of the next stitches into the fourth Ch from hook (the first Ch made) working under two loops – 3 DC, 3 HDC, Ch 1,  DC (Heart point), Ch 1, 3 HDC, 3 DC, Ch 3, Sl St.

Rnd 2.  Ch 3, in top of first St of previous Round make HDC and DC, 3 TR in next St, 2 DC in next St, HDC into each of next 4 Sts, Ch 1, DC in next St (Heart point), HDC in Ch-1, HDC into each of next 3 Sts, 2 DC in next St, 3 TR in next St, DC and HDC in next St, Ch 3, Sl St in center.

Rnd 3. Ch 3, SC in top of first St of previous round, 2 SC in each of next 4 Sts, then SC in each of the next 7 Sts, SC (Heart point).

First Leg: Ch 18, SC in 2nd Ch from hook, HDC in each of next 2 Chs, 3 HDC in next Ch, HDC in next Ch, SC in each of next 12 Chs, Sl St in same St where SC for the Heart point was made, SC* in next St.

Second Leg: Ch 19, SC in 2nd Ch from hook, HDC in next Ch, HDC3tog, HDC in next St, SC in each of next 4 Chs, 3 SC in next Ch, SC in each of next 7 Chs, Sl St in same St of the Body where SC* was made.

How to make half double crochet three together (HDC3tog).
[Yarn over, insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up loop] 3 times – you will have 7 loops on your hook, yarn over and draw through all loops on hook.

SC in each of the next 6 Sts, 2 SC in each of next 4 Sts, SC in next St, Ch 3, Sl St  in center, Ch 1.

Sew bottom of the Neck to the Body.

Fasten off and weave in the ends.

Block your Flamingo appliqué to the proper shape.

Enjoy your Flamingo!

Books I like
These are affiliate links. When you start your Amazon shopping here, I get a small affiliate commission.
Thank you for supporting my website!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

23 Comments

1. Roxann Stetzer
    01/25/2016 / 4:12 am

This is adorable!!! I made one with worsted weight yarn, and put it on a gray hat to donate to Ellie’s Hats for kids with cancer. Well written pattern, and easy to follow.
    Thank you!!
    Rox

2. Dee
    03/21/2016 / 3:44 pm

Big Thank You

3. Hazel
    04/04/2016 / 2:03 am

Thank you for such a lovely pattern. My daughter loves Flamingos so she will think this wonderful. Thank you so much

4. Lisa
    05/07/2016 / 10:29 pm

Easy pattern to read and love the result. Thank u for sharing!

5. Ellen czarniak
    05/21/2016 / 4:29 pm

I would like the pattern for the flamingo please!

6. Sandra
    06/03/2016 / 1:56 am

This is a very cute flamingo but pattern was not printed. Could you please e-mail this to me. Thank you

7. Lisa
    06/21/2016 / 10:11 am

What a wonderfull flamingo and a great website.
    I am translating your pattern to Dutch for the Dutch crocheters. I will place a link to your website ofcourse and send you the Dutch translation as well when it’s ready. If you are not okay with me translating your pattern, feel free to say so.
    Lisa

• Elena
      06/22/2016 / 12:31 pm

Lisa, I’ve sent you e-mail. Please, read. Thank you.

8. Joellen Fry
    09/20/2016 / 8:54 am

I LOVE flamingos and will make several of your flamingo pattern for the sun porch Flamingo tree. I think I’ll get started now. Thanks for the great pattern.

9. naoma brown
    09/28/2016 / 5:07 pm

dear Elena, I make hats for babys ,that are in the hospitals, their all donated. to the hospitals . would love to have the, hearts,seal, elephant .caterpillar,butterfly,cherry. patterns. to put on the hats .I cant print them out. thank you very much. love your patt.

10. Sam g
    10/14/2016 / 5:38 am

I love it my daughter has show and tell for the letter f and I have to admit it’s pretty cute I used a size k hook…

11. Aroha Waaka
    12/19/2016 / 6:19 am

Thankyou so much for this pattern. My friend jokingly told me she needed a flaming ornament for her tree. She is going to be surprised when I give it to her.

• Elena
      12/19/2016 / 10:05 pm

Great idea! Make sure you stiffen your flamingo ornament!

12. Trish
    01/19/2017 / 4:54 am

Thank you for the free pattern, very well written and easy to understand. Can’t wait to try it!

13. Dottie
    02/20/2017 / 6:46 pm

My friend LOVES Flamingos!! It doesn’t matter what time of year it is! I am going to make this tonight and give it to her tomorrow. Let’s see, maybe on a scarf!! Yeah!! Thanks for the great patterns!

• GoldenLucyCrafts
      02/20/2017 / 7:17 pm

You are very welcome! I am very glad that you like my flamingo and hope your friend will like it too! Thank you!

14. marcela
    02/24/2017 / 6:28 pm

buenas noches, estoy complicada con el corazon del flamenco comienzo con un aro? gracias

15. Bev93651
    05/25/2017 / 5:24 am

II noticed in the comments that many had trouble printing the pattern and you had to email it to them. I’ve had this problem and love patterns that have the Print Friendly button. When the button is not available, I use a link to do it myself as I often use the enlarge text size to a larger print size for my old eyes You can print, email or download a PDF with this link. (PS – It is also great for recipes, articles, etc. that you want to save. Works on all URLs except some that have the option of using it protected.) https://www.printfriendly.com/

16. Karen
    07/11/2017 / 4:24 pm

Adorable! i want to make them for my girl scout troop.

17. Helen Robbins
    08/07/2017 / 10:03 am

This sweet little flamingo is just what I needed!!! Thanks so much for sharing SMILE

• GoldenLucyCrafts
      08/08/2017 / 9:24 pm

I am happy that you like it! Thank you!

18. 08/11/2017 / 2:03 am

Thank you for the pattern, I’ve used it in my folk art shawl, flamingos and frills. Made it in a chunky wool as a centre motif.
    I’ll credit you with the pattern.

• GoldenLucyCrafts
      08/11/2017 / 8:33 am

I am glad that you like my flamingo! Thank you so much!