This salad is very attractive and delicious. Also you can easily adjust the size of the salad as it has equal parts of almost all ingredients. And this salad comes with a story. I was always asked why it has such name – Goat in the Garden?
You present the salad without mixing of the ingredients as shown in the main picture. The salad is a beautiful garden where different vegetables grow. But then a goat comes and starts making a mess in the garden – mixing everything with his horns. And you mix all of the ingredients together. It is fun for adults but especially for children!
– 1 cup shredded green or white cabbage (raw)
– 1 cup grated carrots (raw)
– 1 cup grated cooked beets
– 1 cup canned peas
– 1 cup canned corn
– 1/2 cup onion (sweet or purple), finely diced
– Roasted chicken breast, cut into 1/2” x 1/2” cubes – about 1 cup
– 1/2 cup Mayonnaise of your choice or homemade mayonnaise – 1/4 cup green onions, chopped – Salt and Pepper to taste
1.Cook beets for about 1 hour or until they can easily be pierced with a knife.
2. Once they are cooked, let them cool down, then peel and grate.
3. Roast the chicken breast. Heat the oven to 400°F. Spray a glass baking dish with cooking spray. Brush both sides of chicken with oil. Sprinkle both sides with seasoned salt and black pepper. Place in baking dish. Roast uncovered 25 to 35 minutes or until cooked. Let it cool down, then cut into 1/2” x 1/2” cubes.
4. Grate carrots and dice the onion.
5. Arrange all ingredients on a large plate in a circle, put mayonnaise in the center, and sprinkle the mayonnaise with green onions. Do not mix the ingredients until ready to serve.
6. Before serving and after telling the story about the goat, mix all of the ingredients together, add salt and pepper if needed.
When making this salad, feel free to experiment with the ingredients – you can also use purple cabbage, sweet bell pepper or fresh peas.