– 1 cup brown or green lentils, picked over and rinsed
– ½ medium yellow or white onion, chopped
– 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
– ½ medium zucchini, diced into 1/4” cubes
– ½ red or yellow or orange bell pepper, diced into 1/2” pieces
– 2-3 medium potatoes diced into ½ “cubes
– 1-2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
– 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
– 2-3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon curry powder
– Salt, black pepper to taste
– Juice of ½ medium lemon
– 1-2 cups chopped kale, tough ribs removed1. Fill a soup pot with 2 Qt water. Add lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for about 15 min.2. While lentils are cooking, sauté diced onion and grated carrot in 2-3 Tbsps. olive oil over medium heat stirring, until the onion is softened, about 5-8 minutes. Add garlic, cumin and curry powder. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Set aside.
4. Add diced drained tomatoes.
5. Add about 1 tsp of salt, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 min or until the lentils are tender and vegetables are cooked. 6. Transfer 2 cups of the soup to a blender and puree until smooth.
8. Stir in the juice of half of a lemon, taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve hot.