I love eggplant, especially when prepared in such wonderful caviar dish! It is very popular in Ukraine and my mom use to make it very often. It is very delicious when you spread it on a slice of fresh rye bread.
- 2 small or 1 large eggplant (I had one large eggplant about 16 Oz)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 medium tomato, finely diced
- 1 small onion (or about ¼ cup finely diced onions)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Makes 1 – 1/1/2 cup
3. Carefully peel the skin from the eggplant, chop the flesh and place in a food processor with the garlic. Pulse the food processor a few times, until the mixture is almost smooth. Try not to overprocess.
4. Transfer mixture from food processor to a bowl. Add finely diced tomatoes, onion, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix them well.
5. Taste, and add additional salt, pepper as desired.
Serve with pita or rye bread.