This lentil soup is super delicious! It seems complicated at first glance as it has a lot of ingredients, but in reality it is not complicated at all. I was inspired by Spiced Vegan Lentil Soup. Now this soup is one of our family favorites.
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- ½ medium yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- ½ medium zucchini, diced into 1/4” cubes
- ½ red or yellow or orange bell pepper, diced into 1/2” pieces
- 2-3 medium potatoes diced into ½ “cubes
- 1-2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 2-3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Salt, black pepper to taste
- Juice of ½ medium lemon
- 1-2 cups chopped kale, tough ribs removed
1. Fill a soup pot with 2 Qt water. Add lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for about 15 min.
2. While lentils are cooking, sauté diced onion and grated carrot in 2-3 Tbsps. olive oil over medium heat stirring, until the onion is softened, about 5-8 minutes. Add garlic, cumin and curry powder. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Set aside.
3. After the lentils have cooked for 15 minutes, add to the pot diced zucchini, diced bell pepper, diced potatoes. Bring to a boil. Add sautéed onion and carrots.
4. Add diced drained tomatoes.
5. Add about 1 tsp of salt, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 min or until the lentils are tender and vegetables are cooked.
6. Transfer 2 cups of the soup to a blender and puree until smooth.
7. Pour the pureed soup back into the pot and add the chopped kale. Cook for 5 more minutes, or until the kale have softened.
8. Stir in the juice of half of a lemon, taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.