If you have a lot of squash in your garden, you can make popular Russian/Ukrainian dish Squash Paste or Squash Caviar. This classic recipe originated back from Soviet times. Squash Caviar was one of the most popular canned vegetables that you could buy in the store.
- 3 yellow squash (you can use zucchini as well) – total weight about 2 - 2.5 lb
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 4 - 5 Tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 - 4 Tablespoons oil (sunflower or organic canola oil)
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Fresh dill
1. Dice onions, shred carrots, cut squash in cubes about 1”.
2. Heat oil in a skillet and add the onions, sauté for about 5-8 minutes, then add carrots and sauté another 5-8 minutes.
3. Add squash.
4. Cover skillet with lid and sauté on low – medium heat for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Add tomato sauce, garlic, salt and pepper. Sauté for another 10 minutes.