This salad is very attractive and delicious. Also you can easily adjust the size of the salad as it has equal parts of almost all ingredients. And this salad comes with a story. I was always asked why it has such name – Goat in the Garden?
- 1 cup shredded green or white cabbage (raw)
- 1 cup grated carrots (raw)
- 1 cup grated cooked beets
- 1 cup canned peas
- 1 cup canned corn
- 1/2 cup onion (sweet or purple), finely diced
- Roasted chicken breast, cut into 1/2” x 1/2” cubes – about 1 cup
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise of your choice or homemade mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Cook beets for about 1 hour or until they can easily be pierced with a knife.
2. Once they are cooked, let them cool down, then peel and grate.
5. Arrange all ingredients on a large plate in a circle, put mayonnaise in the center, and sprinkle the mayonnaise with green onions. Do not mix the ingredients until ready to serve.
6. Before serving and after telling the story about the goat, mix all of the ingredients together, add salt and pepper if needed.
When making this salad, feel free to experiment with the ingredients - you can also use purple cabbage, sweet bell pepper or fresh peas.