Me - " No, this is a salad."
My father-in-law - "Never seen a pink salad before!" (surprised face)
- 2 medium beets
- 4-5 medium potatoes
- 3 medium carrots
- 2-3 medium pickles
- 1 cup of cooked white beans, drained
- 1/2 cups of finely chopped onion
- Olive Oil
- Black Pepper
1. Cook beets for 1 hour or until they can easily be pierced with a knife.
2. In another pot cook the whole unpeeled potatoes and carrots.
In about 15 min take carrots out as usually carrots cook faster (make sure that knife goes smoothly through carrot). Cook potatoes for additional 10 min or so – check with your knife to ensure they are cooked.
3. Drain the vegetables and let them cool down to room temperature.
4. Peel beets, potatoes and carrots.
7. Mix together beets, potatoes, carrots, pickles and beans. This salad is very perishable. If you are planning to use some of the salad the next day, put part of the salad in a separate bowl and refrigerate. You will add the ingredients from step 8 on next day.
8. Add finely chopped onion. Add 2-3 Tbsp of Olive Oil, salt and ground black pepper to taste. Refrigerate.