Beet Salad Vinegret or Vinaigrette is a traditional salad in Ukrainian cuisine. It includes diced cooked vegetables (beets, potatoes, carrots, and beans), chopped onion, and pickles. Diced apple sometimes also is added. Also sometimes pickles are substituted for sauerkraut. This salad is vegetarian and gluten-free.
Traditionally Vinegret is dressed with Sunflower oil, but I am using Light Olive oil instead. This Venigret salad is my family’s traditional recipe.
Me – ” No, this is a salad.”
My father-in-law – “Never seen a pink salad before!” (surprised face)
PIN this recipe to your Pinterest Board!
– 2 medium beets
– 4-5 medium potatoes
– 3 medium carrots
– 2-3 medium pickles
– 1 cup of cooked white beans, drained
– 1/2 cups of finely chopped onion
– Olive Oil
– Black Pepper
1. Cook beets for 1 hour or until they can easily be pierced with a knife.
In about 15 min, take carrots out as usually carrots cook faster (make sure that knife goes smoothly through carrot). Cook potatoes for an additional 10 min or so – check with your knife to ensure they are cooked.
8. Mix together beets, potatoes, carrots, pickles, and beans.
This beet salad is very perishable. If you are planning to use some of the salad the next day, put part of the salad in a separate bowl and refrigerate. You will add the ingredients from step 8 on the next day.
9. Add finely chopped onion. Add 2-3 Tbsp of Olive Oil, salt and ground black pepper to taste. Refrigerate.
You may also like: