The pattern for this Crochet Butterfly is also available as a print-friendly, styled and advertisement-free PDF in my Etsy shop HERE.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase from one of these links I will get a commission.
Crochet Butterfly Applique – Free Crochet Pattern
Add this pattern to your Ravelry library!
PIN this pattern to your Pinterest Board for later!
(See a list of crochet abbreviations used in patterns by yarn industry designers and publishers HERE):
Ch – chain
DC – double crochet
Rnd – round
SC- single crochet
Sl St – slip stitch
St (Sts) – stitch (stitches)
SC2tog – two single crochet together
Crochet Butterfly is about 3″ wide.
(Shop all my favorite crochet tools HERE!)
1. With cotton crochet thread size 3
and hook 1/2.75 mm make two Large size Hearts (see Instructions for the Crochet Hearts Applique) for the wings – work Rnd 1 and 2 in pink and Rnd 3 in red color.
2. With cotton crochet thread size 10 in red and hook 6/1.8 mm make two Medium size Hearts (see Instructions for the Crochet Hearts Applique) for the body and one Medium size Heart with Antennae for the Head.
3. To make Heart with Antennae, make Rnd 1 as instructed for the Medium size Heart (see Instructions for the Crochet Hearts Applique), make Rnd 2 as follow:
Rnd 2. Ch 3, SC into next St,
making first Antenna – Ch 7, working in the 2nd and 3rd Ch from the hook – SC2tog, Sl St into each of next 4 Ch – this completes the first Antenna; 2 SC into each of next 2 Sts, SC into each of next 4 Sts, Ch 1, DC into next St (Heart Point), Ch 1, SC into each of next 4 Sts, 2 SC into each of next 2 Sts;
making second Antenna – Ch 7, working in the 2nd and 3rd Ch from the hook – SC2tog, Sl St into each of next 4 Ch – this completes the second Antenna; SC into next St, Ch 3, Sl St in center, Ch 1.
4. Fasten off and weave in the ends.
5. Using my picture as a guide, sew hearts together.
6. Make 2 eyes with black 11/0 glass seed beads or beads of your choice.
I hope you enjoyed this crochet Butterfly applique free pattern!
You may also like: