Ch – chain
DC – double crochet
Rnd – round
SC- single crochet
Sl St – slip stitch
St (Sts) – stitch (stitches)
SC2tog – two single crochet together
Finished size: Butterfly is about 3″ wide.
For this crochet Butterfly applique you will need:
– cotton crochet thread size 3 in pink and red
– cotton crochet thread size 10 in red
– crochet hook 1/2.75 mm
– crochet hook size 6/1.8 mm
1. With cotton crochet thread size 3 and hook 1/2.75 mm make two Large size Hearts (see Instructions for the Crochet Hearts Applique) for the wings – work Rnd 1 and 2 in pink and Rnd 3 in red color.
2. With cotton crochet thread size 10 in red and hook 6/1.8 mm make two Medium size Hearts (see Instructions for the Crochet Hearts Applique) for the body and one Medium size Heart with Antennae for the Head.
3. To make Heart with Antennae, make Rnd 1 as instructed for the Medium size Heart (see Instructions for the Crochet Hearts Applique), make Rnd 2 as follow:
Rnd 2. Ch 3, SC into next St; making first Antenna – Ch 7, working in the 2nd and 3rd Ch from the hook – SC2tog, Sl St into each of next 4 Ch – this completes the first Antenna; 2 SC into each of next 2 Sts, SC into each of next 4 Sts, Ch 1, DC into next St (Heart Point), Ch 1, SC into each of next 4 Sts, 2 SC into each of next 2 Sts; making second Antenna – Ch 7, working in the 2nd and 3rd Ch from the hook – SC2tog, Sl St into each of next 4 Ch – this completes the second Antennae; SC into next St, Ch 3, Sl St in center, Ch 1.
4. Fasten off and weave in the ends.
5. Using my picture as a guide, sew hearts together.
6. Make 2 eyes with black 11/0 glass seed beads or beads of your choice.
Enjoy your crochet Butterfly applique!
Sign up for e-mail notifications and don’t miss next crochet pattern!
Disclosure: This page has affiliate links. When you start your Amazon shopping here, I get a small affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting my website!