This delicious lamb kebab recipe uses a marinated lamb that is grilled or barbecued on skewers. The marinate uses Greek yogurt mixed with spices and herbs. This is our family favorite recipe to cook lamb.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase from one of these links I will get a commission.
This lamb kebab is easy to prepare and very tasty. The cooked meat has a beautiful yellowish color from turmeric and an amazing smell from the garlic and spices. My 9-year-old son who is a very picky eater loves this dish! You can grill or barbecue these lamb kebabs; we prefer to barbecue them on our Traeger wood pellet grill.
Kebabs are very popular in many countries. While growing up in Ukraine, pork kebab was a very popular picnic food. Typically the meat was marinated in vinegar and cooked over the campfire. In the US I learned to marinate meat in yogurt. Yogurt compared to vinegar or citrus-based marinade is more gentle and as a result, any meat marinated in yogurt is more tender and juicy.
PIN this Lamb Kebab recipe to your Pinterest boards for later!
2 lb lamb (I used lamb steak)
½ – ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp chopped ginger root
1 tsp salt
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
Also, you will need kebab skewers.
- Grind coriander using a spice grinder or pestle and mortar.
2. Trim the lamb from all excess fat.
3. Dice lamb into about 1″ – 1.5″ cubes.
4. In a large bowl mix together yogurt, ground coriander seeds, chili powder, ginger root, salt, turmeric, garlic, chopped cilantro, and diced lamb.
5. Refrigerate overnight or at least for 5-6 hours.
6. Skewer the diced lamb, then grill or barbeque. Be careful to not overcook lamb. My husband targets 145-150F.
7. Serve immediately. This lamb kebab is great with salad, rice or new potatoes.
I hope you enjoyed this lamb kebab recipe!
You may also like: