This summer I had a lot of yellow squash in my garden and I was trying to find some new and tasty recipe for yellow squash in addition to my favorite Squash Caviar.
I’ve found Recipe for Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake at Kalyn’s Kitchen. The original recipe calls for 2 zucchini and 2 squashes but I was using only squashes.
Combination of plain squashes, basil and cheese – and result was super delicious! I think from now on it will be our family favorite way to cook squash.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase from one of these links I will get a commission.
Cheesy Yellow Squash Bake
PIN this recipe to your Pinterest Board!
- 4 medium-sized yellow squashes (I was using 2 squashes as they were large)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 onion
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 cups of Italian 3 cheese mixture (Mozzarella, Smoked Provolone and Parmesan) finely shredded
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
2. Spray baking dish with olive oil ( I was using this Pyrex glass baking dish)
Find my favorite kitchen items HERE!
3. Cut the squash in slices or half-moon slices.
4. Wash basil, spin dry or dry with paper towels and finely chop.
5. Chop the onion.
6. Combine the sliced squash, chopped basil, and onion.
7. Add garlic powder and 1 cup of cheese mixture.
8. Stir together until the veggies are coated with cheese and the herbs are well-distributed.
9. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
10. Put the mixture in the baking dish.
11. Bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes.
12. Take the casserole dish out of the oven and sprinkle over the remaining 1 cup of cheese mixture.
13. Put the dish back in the oven and bake 20-25 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned and squash is fully cooked.
This dish kept well in the fridge overnight.
This recipe was adapted from a recipe by Kalyn’s Kitchen.