This summer I had a lot of yellow squash in my garden and I was trying to find some new and tasty recipes for yellow squash in addition to my favorite Squash Caviar.
I’ve found a recipe for Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake at Kalyn’s Kitchen. The original recipe calls for 2 zucchini and 2 squashes but I was using only squashes.
Combination of plain squashes, basil, and cheese – and the result was super delicious! I think from now on it will be our family’s favorite way to cook squash.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase from one of these links I will get a commission.
Cheesy Yellow Squash Bake
You can PIN this recipe to your Pinterest boards HERE.
- 4 medium-sized yellow squashes (I was using 2 squashes as they were large)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 onion
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 cups of Italian 3 cheese mixture (Mozzarella, Smoked Provolone, and Parmesan) finely shredded
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Avocado oil
1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
2. Spray the baking dish with avocado oil ( I used 7″ x 11″ Pyrex glass baking dish. You can also use 9″ x 13″ dish)
Find my favorite kitchen items HERE.
3. Cut the squash into slices or half-moon slices.
4. Wash basil, spin dry or dry with paper towels, and finely chop.
5. Chop the onion.
6. Combine the sliced squash, chopped basil, and onion.
7. Add garlic powder and 1 cup of cheese mixture.
8. Stir together until the veggies are coated with cheese and the herbs are well-distributed.
9. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
10. Put the mixture in the baking dish.
11. Bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes.
12. Take the casserole dish out of the oven and sprinkle over the remaining 1 cup of cheese mixture.
13. Put the dish back in the oven and bake 20-25 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned and the squash is fully cooked.
This dish is kept well in the fridge overnight.
This recipe was adapted from a recipe by Kalyn’s Kitchen.
Off season and I had a craving for fresh yellow squash casserole. Trying yours today. I could tell just by the way it smelled it is going to be Delicious! Thank you for sharing. Perfect for Keto diet too.
This is my favorite yellow squash recipe. I hope you will like it too!
Do you think I could add maybe smoked sausage to this dish and make it a meal?
I’ve never tried to add sausage to this squash dish but I think it is a good idea!
This is so delicious! The flavors are so good! Make sure to drain your squash I rushed that step so be sure to do it. Will definitely make this again thank you!!
I am glad that you like it!
I saw the comments above about adding sausage and thought that was a great idea!,
I had johnsonville firecracker sausage in the freezer, so I sliced the sausages in the food processor & then defrosted & cooked them in the microwave, and added them to the rest of the ingredients.
I only had 2 yellow squash so sliced 2 zucchini too and added them. The bowl was very full so I used a glass pan bigger than a 13×9. And since the pan was bigger, added another cup of cheese to all the mixed ingredients.
It was really good! And with lots of leftovers, I won’t have to do anything other than reheat it for the next few days!
Thank you for your feedback! I will have to try this recipe with sausages!
Are you supposed to cook the squash and onion prior to mixing it with everything and baking it? Thank you
No, you don’t need to precook the squash and onion.
What size baking dish? How many cups of squash and onion?
You can use 3Qt (13 x 9″) baking dish. For this recipe, I didn’t measure squash and onion in cups.