These fresh berry muffins are perfect to make during berry season. You can use any of your favorite berries – blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or small strawberries. They are ideal snacks/treats for berry lovers as they are easy to make, moist, delicious and made from healthy ingredients. My son and husband love them!
Fresh Berry Muffins
¾ cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
½ cup sugar
½ – 1 cup fresh berries of your choice (I used blueberries, small strawberries, raspberries and alpines. If you are using large strawberries, cut them on small pieces).
1 organic lemon (use organic lemon as nearly all conventional produce is coated with wax and I find it hard to remove)
1 teaspoon baking powder
You will also need: a standard-size muffin pan, grater with small holes or a zester, paper baking cups
This recipe makes about 10-12 muffins.
- Preheat oven to 390F. Insert cupcake liner into each cup of the muffin pan.
2. Make a lemon zest: Wash lemon under hot water and dry it. Use the smallest holes on an ordinary grater or zester. Grate just enough to get through the yellow skin. Be careful to avoid the bitter white pith underneath. You will need about 1 teaspoon of lemon zest.
3. Into a large mixing bowl, break the 2 eggs and add the sugar. Beat them with a mixer on medium speed.
4. Add lemon zest, stir.
5. Combine flour and baking powder, then add to the mixing bowl and stir.
6. Soften the butter in a hot water bath until it is soft but not liquid.
7. Gradually stir in the softened butter.
8. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them about 1/2 – 3/4 full.
9. Put berries on the top of each muffin.
10. Bake for about 12-15 min depending on your oven. Muffins should be slightly brown on the top.
11. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
PIN this Fresh Berry Muffin Recipe to you Pinterest Boards for later!
You may also like: