This homemade hummus recipe was shared with me and my husband by one of our friends who is native to the Middle East. After trying it, my husband stopped buying hummus from the store and makes it by himself. We both agree that this homemade hummus is very delicious!
PIN this Hummus recipe to your Pinterest boards for later!
– 1-1/3 cup dry chickpeas
– 2/3 cup tahini
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
– 1-2 garlic cloves
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– Extra olive oil, to garnish
– Paprika, to garnish
– Fresh parsley, to garnish
1. Soak the chickpeas in 4 cups water overnight.
2. Drain and place in a large saucepan with 8 cups of fresh water.
3. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 50 min, or until the chickpeas are tender. Turn heat off, let chickpeas cool down in a pan (about for an hour).
4. Drain, reserve the cooking liquid. Put 10-15 chickpeas in a small separate bowl, we will use them for garnish.
5. Place in food processor chickpeas and add ½ cup of cooking liquid.
6. Add in a food processor, tahini, cumin, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and process for about 5 seconds. Add another ½ cup of cooking liquid and process for about 10 seconds until it is smooth.
Try do not overprocess, it has to be a little bit grainy. Add an additional small amount of cooking liquid if hummus is too thick. Adjust salt if necessary.
7. Place hummus in a serving dish, garnish with whole chickpeas, a sprinkling of paprika, a drizzle of olive oil and parsley.
Serve with pita bread.
Leave a Reply